I have moved over to WhittereronAutism.com. Please follow the link to find me there. Hope to see you after the jump! :)

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Developmental challenges, for parents























Unexpectedly, he leaps to my defense, “do not be disturb him! Cant you see he is be nit!”
“Yes I can see your mother’s knitting…..she’s a she remember, not a him.”
“Oh yes, I am beed forgetting dat.” I still find myself tripped up by the correct use of some vocabulary and the complete absence of other parts of speech.
“You can see it beed grow longer, look!” he beams at his father. How we love that joint attention.
“What’s all this business with the knitting all of a sudden?”
“Don’t ask me? He wants me to sit with him. He wants me to knit. You’ll find no complaints from me.”
“What’s with this sudden fascination?”
“Your guess is as good as mine. I’ve yet to find a parental manual that provides guidance on the subject.”
“Why doesn’t that surprise me?”
“The knit one, purl one stage of development.”
“I just don’t get it.”
“Neither do I.”
“We shouldn’t really do that should we.”
“Do what?”
“Talk about him whilst he’s……here.”
“You’re right. We shouldn’t.”
“You are talk about me?”
“Yes.”
“Why?”
“We’d like to know why you like knitting so much?”
“Because it is nitty, nitty, nitty andddddddd it be growed.”
“?”
“Do you mean ‘clicky, clicky, clicky,’ er…..the sound of the needles? That clickety noise drives me wild. Perhaps you should try plastic needles instead.”
“Maybe it is the sound. Is it the sound dear?”
“Nitty, nitty, nitty!” he guffaws unable to contain his hilarity.
“Your nose is so close to the tips though. I’m surprised you haven’t poked his eye out with a needle.” He screams as he covers both eyes to run blindfolded from the room at high speed.
“Ah…..that was a mistake.”
“Indeed.”
“Do you think he’ll be alright?”
“Lets give him a few minutes. He has stopped screaming.”
“Do you think he hurt himself with that clunk?”
“No screaming…….so presumably not.”
“Well that’s jolly annoying!”
“What is?”
“Well now……. …….we’ll never know?”
“The end of another era.”



New post up on "Alien."

No comments:

 
AddThis Social Bookmark Button