I have moved over to WhittereronAutism.com. Please follow the link to find me there. Hope to see you after the jump! :)

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Emotional Quotient of a pin head

I rush around the kitchen like a thing possessed, prior to the arrival of our guests. It is already hot, so I must prepare now or pay later. Due to the heat, it is Nonna’s habit to wear a housedress, loose cotton comfort in outrageous 70’s colours.


It’s the only way. We fashion icons must stick together.

I reach above my head for a saucepan from the rack, which is mysteriously empty. I pause. My son is still silent, "mute" but hopefully voluntarily. I notice a footprint on the cooker where the pot of wooden spoons should be. Someone is trying to derail the cook, a conspiracy campaign no doubt.

Nonna appears in the kitchen, I beam “good morning, did you have a better night’s sleep?”
“Eh?”
“Sleep. Did you sleep?”
“Am I o.k.?”
“I don’t know. Are you?”
“Am I, you know……..?” She smiles hugely with a little shimmy.
I beam back none the wiser.
“I am dressed!”
“Ooo so you are.”
“So?”
“So?.......well done!”
“No…....am I….....….you know…...….o.k.?”

I push back my bifocals and take a better look at her, all dressed in immaculately laundered white, with a speck of childish innocence.

Oh of course! A special occasion! Guests!

“Yes, you look lovely.”


To see and hear someone who is the real deal when it comes to also psychobabble, pop along and say "hello" to "Bonnie."

No comments:

 
AddThis Social Bookmark Button