I have moved over to WhittereronAutism.com. Please follow the link to find me there. Hope to see you after the jump! :)

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Roll up, roll up, get your spit bowls here!





Handy hint [possibly] no.3

This is more of a mini book review. Many parents have problems with food and their children. This is by no means an exclusively ‘autistic’ matter. Other parents have difficulties with Pica. [translation = eating or mouthing non food items] If your child falls into the former category then this book may prove to be helpful, I hope. It’s called “Just take a bite,” by Lori Ernsperger, Ph.D and Tania Stegen-Hanson, OTR/L. The forward is by Temple Grandin! which is the seal of authenticity for me.

I may have read every book written on the subject, but has proved to be the most effective for my child.

















It explains all the pertinent factors in language that is easy to understand with lots of examples and hints. It provides a planned approach for the parent to implement which removes the pressure so that the whole exercise becomes stress free. but A change in approach for the parent, based upon a greater understanding of the interplay of numerous different factors, means that calm may be restored to your household, I hope.

It may not be a quick fix, but under the present circumstances, a very slow fix is probably about as good as it's going to get around here.

1 comment:

Sphincter said...

So, the spit bowl is for when that bite is too much and needs to be ejected immediately? Just curious.

(I spent 3 years working in a home-based program for a kiddo with autism. The program has since morphed into a school and I've moved on to another field. But the food aversion was always a big challenge!)

 
AddThis Social Bookmark Button